Thursday, May 6, 2010

Junior Theme Reflection

I am glad to be (almost) finished with the Junior Theme! Although this paper was the longest and most difficult paper of the school year, I have taken the most away from this essay. I have learned how to conduct a research essay, something that I never really learned before (The 8th grade research paper was more of a report, not really an analysis.). I believe that this experience will help prepare us for college, where we will be writing tons of research papers. I appreciate the somewhat open-ended form of the Bolos/O'Connor Junior Theme, where each student gets to pick his or her very own "why" question.

Most importantly, I learned how to assess the validity of certain sources and how to properly include a variety of scholarly sources in the paper. I also really improved on my quoting abilities, really condensing the quotes to only the necessary words or phrases that I need as support. I also made sure that everything in my essay somehow relates to my thesis/map -- no "fun facts" or unnecessary historical background information!

What are your views on the Junior Theme?

No comments:

Post a Comment