Thursday, May 20, 2010

American Studies Day Reflection

Today was American Studies Day, and I have been thinking about it. I enjoyed the day and thought that it was productive. It was interesting how the teachers were able to gather all of these different people - including the directors and poets - as well as compile their own presentations and ask AIS students to lead some of their own. This was a very unique day.

I enjoyed listening to Maria Finizzo and seeing part of her film. I appreciated the fact that she addressed both sides of the argument relating to stem-cell research and did NOT voice her own personal opinion in the movie, keeping it professional. I do not know too much about stem-cell research, so it was interesting to keep and open mind and listen to both sides of the argument.

I also appreciated Mr. Tragos' presentation, taking a deep look at some of the photographs presented. I never knew much about analyzing art or photography, so this session was pretty interesting.

The last presentation I saw before the lunch break was "The Other AND America", and I thought that it was well conducted. I appreciated the fact that the leaders engaged in discussion with the audience members and did not just speak in a monotonous voice the whole time. Everything presented by all of the group members was connected well.

I am glad to have gone to American Studies Day. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree, I thought American Studies Day was a great experience. I also agree with you about Maria Finitzo's film: I thought it was good that she included both sides to such a controversial issue in her film and I was really impressed by the dedication she had towards her topic by taking the time to really research stem cell research so she new all of the background information about it. I wish I got to see Mr. Tragos's presentation, too, but unfortunately I missed that one.

    ReplyDelete