Friday, April 30, 2010

Junior Theme REVISED

I've had some difficulties with my Junior Theme, so I have had to reconstruct my map. My "why" question (Why do Americans use their cars as vehicles of self-expression?) is okay, but the body of my essay needs more emphasis on history.

My first bloc will be exploring how America's dependence on cars has come to be. I will be investigating the construction and costs of the interstate, suburbanization, how the interstate is superior to other means of public transportation, and how in many big cities the public transportation is inadequate, resulting in the need for cars.

My second bloc will be exploring cars' accessibility, relating to the postwar spending spree in America. I will also bring up the idea of how, currently, many Americans are attached to their cars.

My third blog will be about the "Americanism" of American cars, and how they are preferred over foreign cars, in many cases. I will also discuss the economic and governmental policies (tariffs, fuel costs, etc.) that have helped shape this realization.

My fourth bloc will be bringing up the idea that, because cars are so prominent in American culture, people use their automobiles as vehicles of self-expression, especially through bumper stickers.

Finally, my last bloc will be about status; you are what you drive. What does your car say about you?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please let me know. Also, if you are a student whose Junior Theme topic can be connected to mine, please let me know, and hopefully we can cite each other in our papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment