Thursday, April 8, 2010

Junior Theme Topic

I have finally narrowed down my Junior Theme topic, and it relates to cars. Specifically, the "why" question I will be investigating is: Why do Americans use their automobiles as vehicles of self-expression? I was either going to do this topic or something about gambling, and this one seems more interesting and applicable to me.

I will be investigating why many Americans personalize their automobiles, almost treating their cars as part of the family, and why certain Americans buy certain cars. I will look into why many Americans put bumper stickers on their cars. By letting the world know that their son/daughter is an "honors student" at ETHS, do they possibly feel the need to brag? Also, why are many people very possessive about their cars, constantly fixing and polishing them? Do they treat the car as a family member? And finally, I will be researching why certain cars, including their color and interior, appeal to certain people. Why don't many teenagers appreciate Buicks? Mrs. Gressel has shown me an encyclopedia of all of the cars in the 20th century, explaining which type of people each car attracted. I will definitely use this encyclopedia as a resource.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. This is a very intersting topic Nick, and it is one I've blogged about quite extensively. Obviously, some cars have stigmas and stereotypes associated with them. Cars say many things about a person, and while not being a complete expression of your body and soul, they can definetely make a statement and be a status symbol. And obviously different Americans like different types of cars, from big SUV's to muscle cars, to luxury saloons, the choices are endless. This is a quality topic.
    But I can answer one question for you: why don't teenagers appreciate Buicks? Because they're lame, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. found an interesting essay by Margaret Walsh is Professor of American Economic and Social History at the University of Nottingham in England.

    "Gender and the Automobile in the United States".
    definitely worth a read
    http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Gender/Walsh/G_Overview2.htm

    ReplyDelete