Friday, March 19, 2010

Effectiveness of Billboards

In class recently, we have been discussing the different methods of advertising. Billboard advertising is very common; I see it on roads and highways. I generally only get a 2-4-second glance at each billboard, so I never really understood why people think they are effective. Our class discussion on billboards, as well as my skepticism, got me to do some research, and I have concluded that they are indeed effective.

I read an article written by Stephen Rampur entitled "Billboard Advertising Effectiveness". Advantages are discussed in the article, including the fact that many major businesses consider this form of advertising because of its "cost effectiveness and saving". Also, because of billboards' "colorful, innovative, and catchy product and service advertisements", billboards "create a brand awareness and a strong name recognition among passers-by". Not only are they economically beneficial to the companies, but billboards also really do capture the driver's attention, even though they are generally seen for only about 2-4 seconds. I can especially see how the ones advertising food are effective; if someone is hungry and there is a big McDonald's billboard, then the person may very well think, "hmm...I want McDonald's now". Also, the billboards advertising TV shows can be very catchy. I remember once I think I saw a catchy one that was somewhat funny, advertising the Bernie Mac Show or something like that.

Well, I guess I was wrong; billboards really are effective. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think they are pretty effective, although I don't usually pay to much attention to them when I am driving on the highway (probably because I an not much of an experienced driver yet haha) but I think for people who drive the same way every day and see the same billboards, that recognition will definitely help the company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a doubt, billboards are very effective forms of advertisement. Someone commuting home one weeknight may see a billboard advertising the steak at Ruby Tuesday's. Even if its only for two seconds, that's long enough, as this person may decide to get off at the exit for this restaurant. This is the direct effect the billboards advertisement has. However, this person may also tell their girlfriend about the restaurant or go there the next weekend with a group of friends.

    ReplyDelete